Translate

November 22, 2012

Reconstruction and Metastatic Disease

Yesterday was weird, not bad, just weird. I went in to the meeting with Dr. Temple-Oberle like Cindy Lou Who, all sugar peas and light with no idea that I was an anomaly.

It turns out that in Dr. T-O's career she has never even been referred a stage 4 patient for reconstruction and that the Foothills hospital has never done a breast reconstruction on a metastatic breast patient! I did not realize this because I forget that I'm not perfectly standard but it turns out that I'm not :). So, my other doctors kept pushing me through the system to meet more people until I got to Dr. T-O (really liked her by the way). I think that they thought if she could meet me then I might have a chance and I think that I do. That's what we discussed, I mean, at the current time, she does not have her colleagues approval but I think that she's willing to perform a single reconstruction if she can get enough people on board. I've been referred to an anesthesiologist who, I assume, will have to decide if I'm hale enough for anesthesia and that extra hour under general slumber that reconstruction requires. Interestingly, I would be cleared to do a double mastectomy without reconstruction, weird huh? But there's a precedent for that and doctors rely on precedents just like lawyers.

I discovered that stage IV's were not offered reconstruction because it was felt too dangerous because we are, supposedly, frail? I guess that we are weakened but aren't babies and elderly people too? I mean my grandpa, Bobbyboy, went under general anesthesia at the age of 73 and they do infant surgeries like the one that was done on Kill's cousin. I think that I'm easily in their realm.

In an ideal scenario I'd be able to get a double double as my mum calls it (double mastectomy with both breasts reconstructed using implants) but in this current realm I could settle for doing one now and the right one on the future when research catches up. Because I don't have cancer in both breasts the other isn't a necessity and doesn't merit the risk of infection and death on the operating table.

Cool huh? I think that both Dr. Temple-Oberle and I are mulling today but we'll see what happens and frankly, I'd love to be an innovator with she and Dr. Mew.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Nothing standard about you at all Cail, you are so exceptional in all ways. I am glad they came around to your way of thinking. I love you xoxoox.

LJ said...

Hi Cail...I agree with your Mom whom I have had the pleasure of knowing for 5 years and she is now my new Boss. You ARE an innovator and beautifully honest! I have read your blog from the beginning recently and some of your writings brought back memories. I triumphed over breast cancer 3 years ago. Had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. In as much as it was difficult to contend with, it changed my life in a positive manner! Like you I researched everthing, asked tons of questions and shared it with all my family and friends. Doing so made it easier for them, I was doing great so I wasn't worried about me. Enough about me! Just know that you have a new admirer and I am a big fan of your Mom. Honest! Lol

Cail Jordan said...

LJ, I love that you are on the other side of your diagnosis and that you're like me. Being informed is hard but I think that it's worth the trouble.
I'm so glad that you're reading the blog :)

carlin snarlin said...

Wow cail! This is a great post and I agree that you are an anomaly. You are so strong and it seems that everyone is charmed by how wonderful you are. I love you and you amaze me :)